Are you looking for a new dental office? Morris Dental Associates is your go-to dental office for your entire family’s needs. We offer a wide range of services, from teeth cleanings to orthodontics and everything in between. We also specialize in lip and tongue tie treatment for infants and children. If you live in the Abilene, Texas, area and think your child may need a frenectomy, we can help.
You can trust our experienced team of professionals to provide your family with the highest quality care. We are dedicated to ensuring you and your children are comfortable and relaxed during your visit. You can rest assured that you are in good hands at Morris Dental Associates.
What is a Tongue Tie or Lip Tie?
You may have heard of a “tongue tie” or “lip tie,” but what exactly are they? A tongue tie (or ankyloglossia) is a condition that restricts the tongue’s range of motion at birth. A lip tie (or maxillary labial frenulum) is a fibrous tissue connecting the upper lip to the gum tissue. Dr. Amy Morris can help determine if your child needs a frenectomy, or release of the frenulum, through a quick and easy in-office procedure.
What are the symptoms of a tongue or lip tie?
- Infants with tongue ties may have difficulty latching to the breast or bottle nipple.
- Toddlers and older children may have difficulty sticking their tongues past their teeth, which can interfere with proper tooth brushing.
- Children may have trouble licking ice cream cones or popsicles, whistling, or making particular speech sounds such as “t” and “d.”
- Eating solid foods can be difficult and messy for children with tongue ties.
- Adults with tongue ties may have trouble licking their lips, cleaning their teeth properly, or speaking clearly.
What are the consequences of leaving a tongue or lip tie untreated?
- Untreated tongue and lip ties can lead to dental problems such as cavities, gum disease, and malocclusion (crooked teeth)
- Speech difficulties
- Poor oral hygiene
- Painful cracked nipples for breastfeeding mothers
In many cases, no treatment is necessary for tongue or lip ties. However, suppose you or your child are experiencing any difficulties due to a tongue or lip tie. In that case, Dr. Morris can perform a frenectomy to release the frenulum and improve the range of motion. The procedure is quick (it takes just a few minutes), virtually painless (a topical numbing gel is all that is needed), and has a very low risk of complications.
Here are a few tips to help you prepare your child for their appointment:
- Have a conversation with your child about what the procedure will entail. They must understand what will be happening and why.
- Make sure to arrive at the appointment early, so you have time to fill out any paperwork and ask any questions. This will help to put your mind at ease and allow you to focus on supporting your child.
Frenectomy in Abilene TX
Tongue and lip ties can make speaking, eating, and breastfeeding more challenging. Dr. Morris can perform a frenectomy to release the frenulum and increase the range of motion if you or your child are having issues. If you think your child might benefit from a frenectomy in Abilene TX, please call Morris Dental Associates today to schedule an appointment. Untreated tongue and lip ties can cause long-term consequences for children and adults, so it is best to seek treatment as soon as possible.
We would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Thank you for choosing Morris Dental Associates – we look forward to working with you and helping you and your child smile!